Illusion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Forum for readers, writers and artists

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Romance in fiction

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Quillion
Bitterblue
Quillion

Romance in fiction Empty
PostSubject: Romance in fiction   Romance in fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:14 am

Romance is lovely, lovely, escapism. And it seems that every YA novel has it, which is understandable. But sometimes the romance can be just plain creepy, like in Twilight.

Sometimes though it is beautifully done, like in Graceling.

So in this thread, talk about what couple you really like, or a couple that you think was just thrown together for the hotness factor.

Now I know that I can be treading on dangerous ground, what with pairing wars and all that. But lets be mature and try not to incessently bash other pairings. If there is a reason you don't like a pairing fully explain the reason and if someone disagrees then agree to disagree. Lets not blow this thing up.

In order to not be a hypocrite, I will explain my above comments on Bella/Edward and Kasta/Po.

I don't like Bella/Edward because I think that pairing is too dependent to be healthy. Edward leaves and Bella becomes a zombie for months. They don't seem to have many friends outside of each other, especially concerning Edward. They are just so dependent on each other that they cant function without each other. That can't be healthy. (Again, feel free to combat this point. I will probably agree to disagree but if the reason makes a lot of sense I can be swayed)

I really like Kasta/Po. I think that Kasta is very three dimensional and she has worries that make sense. Po is wonderful, patient with her. And they become friends before they are lovers. This is important. They genuinely like each other before they become serious. And I never feel that Kasta is inferior in the relationship, that she depends on Po too much. I also feel that Po isn't inferior either, that he is smart and kind and willing to not always be in charge. Also, if it didn't work out, the relationship, I believe that and Po and Kasta could still be friends. And that the relationship isn't what defines them, they are first their own people.

So, anyone else want to contribute?
Back to top Go down
Quillion
Bitterblue
Quillion

Romance in fiction Empty
PostSubject: This is totally a double post   Romance in fiction Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 pm

This is totally a double post but the reason I started this thread was because of this. It's a post about rape culture in YA fiction. There are tons of good links and I would recommend reading it when you have a lot of time reflect, it's quite world shaking. I'm 99% sure most of you on this forum are female and again, recommend it not to scare you but to inform you. So, just please give it a chance?

Just to be clear, again. This isn't a 'I hate that pairing, this is a post about pairings you think aren't healthy or right. Also about pairings that you absolutely adore because they are real and healthy.

And this might be entirely too serious for this forum. Sorry. I'm not feeling lighthearted right now.
Back to top Go down
Upsidaisy
Vernon Dursley

Romance in fiction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Romance in fiction   Romance in fiction Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I agree with Edward and Bella. I think the same as you, it can't be healthy. Love isn't that way in a healthy relationship. If my boyfriend, or my husband after a while, was so protective, I would go crazy. I can see the whole "I'm a vampire, and my enemies are dangerous."-thing, but Edward is so over-protective.

When it comes to books, I guess all of my couples are from Norwegian books, so probably noone in here know who I'm talking about anyway.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Romance in fiction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Romance in fiction   Romance in fiction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Romance in fiction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Illusion :: General Discussion :: Mature Discussion-
Jump to: